As I’ve said before I work in McDonald’s and it’s a regular occurrence that staff members get transferred between stores. So when Alison McGovern walked through the doors it was nothing unusual to me. Little did I know who had walked into my life.
Alison works as a customer care assistant. This means she’s the lovely lady “who gets paid to clean up after [you]”. Her actual job is to ensure your visit is special, to help large families with their orders and getting seated, keeping the kids happy with balloons, keeping the lobby in order and so much more. This job isn’t easy. Unfortunately, we don’t live in an ideal world and again, as I’ve said before, we all have bad days which includes both staff and customers. Alison on the other hand makes the job look like a breeze. She is so pleasant and kind to customers, going out of her way to help out and ensure everyones happy. This applies on and off the floor. This woman has been there for me, as a shoulder to cry on despite the face that she didn’t know me all that well. I’ll be forever grateful for that and if there is a God I pray that there will be more people like her out there.
Backstory out of the way, Alison has managed to blow my mind. Last month was Alison’s birthday. So we all dolled up and went out. We ate in the Thunder Road Cafe and marched our way to the Auld Dubliner. There was a musician, Jake Suleman (AKA Jake Hallam), performing covers of popular tunes. A good friend of ours Stephen O’Reilly has organised a small surprise for Alison. Jake had already had the whole pub sing the roof off with happy birthday, what more could there be? Little to my knowledge at the time, Alison loved to sing and she was very good at it too! Please excuse the poor filming quality.. We were out for drinks after all.. And this was the result:
Get to Know Ali:
- Fruit/Veg: Strawberries
- TV Show: X Factor
- Colour: Pink
- Bus: Party bus 😉
- Artist/Musician: Shayne Ward
- Cause (Charity/Campaign): Make A Wish – beause the well being of children is my life and even children who don’t have long left if I can put a smile on their face and make their dreams come true then I want to be a part of that.
- Book: To Kill A Mocking Bird
- Restaurant: McDonald’s
- Location: Florida
- Chewing gum flavour: Spearmint
Let’s Get Personal:
- Where are you from? Dublin
- What was your childhood dream job? Did you have a life plan? If so, what was it?As a child I wanted to be a popstar! But I always had a life plan that involved becoming a primary school teacher.
- Is singing a career you’d like to pursue? If not, what is your current dream job?Yeah, I’d love to pursue a singing career! My current dream is to be a teacher though!
- Who is your idol?Shayne Ward, because I feel that his story is very like mine in the way that he had a tough life growing up as I did so I felt that his music connected to me more.
- If you could be any animal for a day, what would it be?A dolphin because they are very protective animals and look after their own and humans. They are so amazing and talented and bring joy to people’s lives!
- What do you do when you’re having a bad day?I listen to music. Music has always defined me. I feel that although new lyrics speak a thousand words to me that sometimes music doesn’t have to have words to portrays many different meanings , moods and emotions.
- Do you have any songs of your own? If not, is it a possibility in the future?Yeah, definitely possibility. I think writing about your own life in songs may sometimes help people. I do feel they could be a bit personal though. I would write about real life situations and hope that they may help people in the process.
- If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?Florida because its been my childhood dream to visit Disneyland!
- Can you describe yourself using 3-5 words? Caring , loving and funny 🙂
- If you were stuck on a desert island and could only bring three things with you, what would they be?My phone (with endless battery life and internet haha) because I can’t live without it hahahhahah! My pride and joy! And of course food and water.
Like what you hear from Hallam? He performs according to the crazy schedule below and has his CD’s on sale for €5! He’s so talented and definitely worth checking out live!
- Mondays: Quays Bar 4pm-6pm
- Tuesdays: Quays Bar 10pm-12.30am
- Wednesdays: The Auld Dubliner 9.30pm-12.30am
- Thursdays: The Auld Dubliner 9.30pm-2.30am
- Fridays: The Old Storehouse 10pm-2.30am
- Saturdays: Quays Bar 10pm-12am & The Norseman 12.30am-2.30am
And here are some of his links:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jakesuleman88/
- YouTube Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpFWiPqUnwQ&list=PLkCasTPDikYYyJImWNLpTYcLSY0cIXmNf